By the time we recognize this moment, this moment will be gone.

John Mayer


August 31, 2010

Time

Ever have those moments when the quick passing of time slaps you across the face?   I have had a couple of those recently and I stop and wonder how I got to this point.  Where are all the moments in between.  I sent my baby to his Senior year last week.  I went to the school to look at his Senior pictures with him and when I looked at the picture of him in his cap and gown  my heart skipped a beat. Where did time go?  We walked to the car and he gave me his usual hug and as I sat in my car watching this young man walk back to the school I thought back on the day that I watched him walk into Larsen Elementary for the first time. I remember that day, that feeling, and hoping he would never grow up, just like I had felt three times before.  Each time I have gone through these moments with the kids I wondered how I would ever let go of them.  Without a choice and under protest I did.  Last Friday I was with Lindsey watching Sophie play soccer.  As we left the  field I saw Fran Jones. It had to be just yesterday that she and I were there with Jake and her son Nic playing Junior High football.  But there we were again, now watching our grand daughters, and again I asked myself, how did I get to this point?  Where are all those moments in between?  On my blog are the lyrics from a John Mayer song, "By the time I recognize this moment, this moment will be gone."  Who knew I would again recognize that moment so many years ago talking to Fran at the football game, or watching my baby walk into Larsen for the first day of school, now at this time.  Each day I watch my amazing kids go through their lives, the ups and downs, and wonder when they will recognize the moments they are living now.  I think at the time we think we do, but we really don't recognize how these moments  feel until they are long over and done.  Everyday has a new moment, holding the baby, making cupcakes with the grandkids, Disneyland trips,  and  listening to Soph tell me about her first day at school.  I keep reminding myself to take each day and tuck all those moments away, hold them tight and recognize them .  They are priceless.

2 comments:

Hill said...

It's funny that I read this right now. I was up with Nya less than two hours ago. She fell asleep on me and, despite how tired I was, I held and loved her for a while. I had the lyrics to a country song in my head. I think Kelsey posted them on her blog recently. If you read the words with out hearing the guy sing it, I think you wouldn't hate it. I'm trying to make it my motto for life right now. "you're gonna miss this, you're gonna want this back. You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast. These are some good times, so take a good look around. You may not know it now, but you're gonna miss this. "

Kelsey said...

Very true mom, I keep doing that myself. I've done it with Nic too, thinking how weird it is that he's a senior. It wasn't that long ago that I was in his shoes.