By the time we recognize this moment, this moment will be gone.

John Mayer


October 20, 2011

Today

Today the mission call is sitting on my desk at work. This is the second time I have been here. Unlike the mission call before, I now know what is ahead of me. There are so many thoughts running through my mind. Feelings that only a mom can feel. I am wondering how I am going to do this, even though I know that I can. Important days like this come and go and you anticipate and worry. Neither of those things make much of a difference. They still come and go. What makes us able to send away our children for two long years? What gives us the strength to prepare them for 19 years to serve? What makes us smile when the envelope is opened, when our heart is torn? We know deep down that it is a step they must take. Just like going to school, dating, driving, graduating. All those things are steps. More importantly than that, it is faith, pure and simple. There has to be an abundance of faith to allow our children to be taken from our watchful eye. Do I have enough. Tomorrow our lives will be different. Our focus will change, conversations will be different and we will begin the countdown to letting go.

2 comments:

Hill said...

Blah, I don't want to count down:(

Kelsey said...

Me neither :(